Sun’s out, tongue’s out! And while Artemis and I love visiting the ice cream shops around this time of the year (especially Ollie’s in Bushwick), we’re not able to explore New York City like we normally would this summer. So, we’re bringing the dog-friendly ice cream to you.
This Sunday, May 31st at 3 P.M. EST, we’re co-hosting a Virtual Doggy Ice Cream Sandwich Class with our friends at Bond Vet (thank you for Artemis’ recently successful surgery!) and Maison de PawZ, whose founder and pastry chief Mei-i Zien makes the most incredible dog treats that are both delicious and healthy. (Artemis once had a Maison de PawZ “pup tart” with pumpkin filling, and I believe it changed her life.) Like all of Maison de PawZ’s treats, these ice cream sandwiches are egg-free, gluten- and grain-free. If your dog has dairy sensitives, you can substitute goat milk yogurt for the Greek yogurt. (Goat milk is a favorite of Gwyneth Paltrow’s, FYI.)
Tickets are $10, and all ticket proceeds go to Brooklyn-based Rescue City. Now, we know grocery shopping is a bit more complicated and requires more planning these days. Like many of you, Artemis and I rely on our weekly FreshDirect delivery and no longer make spontaneous grocery store runs whenever we feel like it. If you want to make the ice cream sandwiches in real time, here are the ingredients you need:
- Bananas (ripe)
- Peanut butter (unsalted, if possible)
- Goat milk yogurt or Greek yogurt
- Oat flour (can be made by blending rolled oats on high until fine flour consistency)
- Rice flour (substitute with extra oat flour, if not available)
- Coconut oil
- Flaxseed meal (if using whole flaxseeds, use a spice grinder or coffee grinder to make it fine)
- Pumpkin purée (can sub with apple sauce, carrot juice, peanut butter, etc.)
Bon(e) appétit, and see you online (as always)!